A few weeks back, a collaborative community mural project kicked off as part of the enLIGHTen Me Small Town Transformation project. The mural project, led by Gunditjmara artist, Joey Chatfield, will lead to a wonderful 7 metre long mural that tells the story of Birregurra and it's relationship to the Birregurra Hall. Once complete, it will be erected in the landscape surrounding the hall.
Birregurra Community Arts Group is a proud partner of this project and it was wonderful to see lots of BCAG members dipping their toe into the project and learning how to interpret stories into a rich visual canvas using traditional symbolism.
The first session was attended by 42 participants including a whole bunch of talented local artists. It was a fabulous session with some real magic made by everyone. The session was about exploring symbols and stories and knocking up a mini canvas of work.
And it's amazing what can happen in just a few short hours.
See if you can interpret the stories of some of today's workshop participant's artworks using the symbolism info sheet. Individually these artworks are lovely. Collectively, they are a whole kaleidoscope of amazing.
In the second session, we shared stories of Birregurra and practised our dot painting techniques for the upcoming mural work with Gunditjmara artist, Joey Chatfield. It was lovely listening to the history of Tarndwarncoort from Tom Dennis and local history from other long term residents including Brian Lawrence.
We heard about gypsies in gypsy wagons picking peas, wire becoming a disruptive technology, mysteries around the water hole, wildlife gathering en masse at the dam, and how a pregnant woman was rowed across the flooded barwon river so she could have her baby.
HOW CAN YOU GET INVOLVED?
The next session is Sunday 10th September and focuses on finalising the design for the mural as well as having some more fun practicing painting using traditional techniques. The project is free for all participants.
Everyone 12+yrs is welcome to join in and can come along this Sunday or to subsequent drop in sessions on Wednesdays and Sundays 10am -12 noon. Details of drop in sessions will be advertised in Birregurra Mail and here so stay tuned.
If you have any questions about the project, please email Fiona Brandscheid at email@example.com
It's that time of year again. Snapshots of Birregurra is open.
The theme? Birregurra with a touch of RED!
Open / 13 & Under categories
$100 cash first prize
$50 Birregurra Trader Gift Voucher runner up
$100 cash Lenn Robb People's Choice Award
Proudly sponsored by Birregurra Mail and Birregurra Community Arts Group.
Entries close Saturday 7th October 5pm. Online entries here: http://bit.ly/birresnaps2017 .
Hardcopy entry forms available at Birregurra General Store and Community Health Centre soon.
Category winners announced at Birregurra Festival.
Category winners announced at Birregurra Festival.
Just a reminder that this coming Monday is August's Musical Monday. We will be operating our 'New Look' program for the remainder of the year, as outlined below.
Vic & Mic have returned from their holiday and after the success of our 'all-hands-on-deck' Singing Circle last month, Monday's Singing Circle program is as follows:
Physical warm-up stretches - Linnet Hunter - 5-10 minutes
Vocal warm-up and breath-work - Fiona Brandscheid - 10-15 minutes
Learning a new song - Angie, Vic & Mic - 15-20 minutes
Supper - 15 minutes
Old favorites - Angie, Vic & Mic until 8:30pm
Looking forward to singing, playing and jamming with as many of you as possible,,
- 10 am to 11 am Morning Zither Run/Group - a zither run is a 1 hour lesson to get the most out of your zither. We cover tuning, care, playing and navigating the tune-sheets. Everything you need to take your zither 'for a run' and just play. Suitable for all skill levels. $5 per session, includes morning tea.
Please note that for the Zither Runs we have instruments available for you to use, should you not yet have your own, so why not give it a go?
- 1 pm to 3 pm - Running with Zithers Ensemble jam - this ensemble is a group of Zither, Autoharp or other stringed instrument players who, with a percussionist, challenge their music-making to play and harmonize in a group. The idea is to have fun playing together. Whilst the session is free, we do ask for a cold coin contribution toward refreshments and expect players to bring along their in-tune instrument.
- 4 pm to 6 pm - Room 1 - Afternoon Music Sessions - This time has been set aside for 30 minute time slots of individual or group music sessions in singing, basic music theory, Autoharp and zither playing or zither & Autoharp service. 30 minute sessions cost $5 and times need to be arranged with Angie 0408 379 499
- 4 pm to 5 pm - Room 2 - Birregurra Community Arts Group Family Music Sessions with John James - These are fun, family music tasters introducing music to children of all ages through an eclectic range of instruments. $5 per session.
- 7 pm to 8:30 - The Birregurra Community Arts Group Singing Circle - singing for fun because it is sooo good for us. Everyone's welcome $5.
OAK Weaving Studio
Textile & Fibre Artist
The workshop will cover the weaving process from start to finish
Planning, preparing the warp, warping up & weaving
When: Sat 7th October 10 AM – 3 PM
Sun 8th October 10 AM – 3 PM
Workshop is for the full weekend – 8 hrs total with a 1 hour break for lunch
Cost $160 plus cost of materials if applicable
Bendigo 3ply wool will be available to purchase
ALTERNATIVELY, BYO your favourite yarns, fibre or material & of course your ideas
our aim is to create & finish a woven piece in the 2 days
No prior weaving experience is needed just a desire to create & enjoy the pleasure of weaving
Four fully equipped looms will be provided for the two days
alternatively byo loom – any form of loom
Only 4 places are available
So book fast to avoid missing this great opportunity
Where: Studio 92, 70 Murray St, Colac
Basic spinning, plying
spinning wheel maintenance section
4 wheels available, 1 electronic & 3 uprights
or byo your own wheel
Fibre can be provided or else byo
When: September 24th
10 am – 2.30pm
1 hr break for lunch
Where: Studio 92,
70 Murray St Colac
Bookings: ph Studio 92
0407 818 932
or call in